Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Danes can thrown down...

As many of you know, I went to Denmark to attend my friend Tim's wedding to his Danish fiancee, Maiken. Now, I really didn't know what to expect with regard to customs and proper manners at such an occasion, so here are some interesting facts about Danish weddings:

1) Champagne bottles are opened with machetes. Yes, machetes. They lop off the entire top of the bottle, and it's really amazing we didn't swallow shards of glass.


2) "Viking games" are encouraged during the reception, such as spitting and throwing contests.


3) The reception consists of two parts: four hours of speeches with dinner followed by dancing. Now, the four hours of speeches seemed a bit intimidating at first, but each person that got up to speak sounded like they were out of a movie. So poignant, sincere, and perfectly delivered.

Being that we were consuming as much of the free wine as humanly possible and the mood was getting quite emotional with all the speeches, we challenged Mia to join the amazing locuteurs with one of her own using the following completely random key words and phrases we assigned to her: "birds of a feather," "Croatia," and "magical journey," amongst many others. Fortunately, she backed out, because us lushes at the back table would have peed our pants. I wonder why Tim sat us wedding liabilities at the back table.

1 comment:

Maiken and Tim said...

Back table, haha. Fun table it seems. I'm glad you all had such a good time. Believe me, this whole wedding was as much of a surprise to me as it was to many of the guests. I'm happy to say that I had the best time ever and I hope you all did. It meant the world to have so many friends and family there to enjoy the fun with. Enjoy France!